Huwebes, Disyembre 8, 2016

Mahamaya

   
   
       How can love survive during unfavorable social traditions and customs? The story of Mahamaya is the best example of it.
     
    The short story entitled Mahamaya written by Rabindranath Tagore wherein he based it on the real life situation during his time in India. The said country has their culture wherein a widow should be cremated alive with her husband's funeral and that so happen with Mahamaya.

     Mahamaya in the story is a girl with a beauty compared to an image of gold. It was the reason why Rajib fall in love with her but it was also the reason for them to be apart. Mahamaya was married to an old Brahmin because of her brother Bhavanicharan but the day following after her marriage, she became widow. I really admired Mahamaya for being a devoted wife, that she can sacrifice her life because it was their tradition that time and also for being a suttee. But if I were Mahamaya, I would not do the same. My husband has his own life and I have my own also so that time it was the day for him to leave this world and I'll just wait for my time. But I understand Mahamaya's situation that time because as a respect to their culture and as having a high social status she did that thing. In the case between Rajib and Mahamaya, I don't think it was true love they felt for each other because they just base their love on physical appearance. The veil that covered the licked face of Mahamaya was the reason why they're not happy like the old times they had. Rajib broke their agreement so Mahamaya left him. She didn't even turn her back to face and listen to Rajib's explanation. The story was not as good as what I had expected but the author let the readers make their own ending of the story. Now I know some of India's culture during the time of Tagore and maybe it was still used in the said country in the present time. We don't have the right to judge them because there's a reason behind those things, we just have to respect.

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento